Waltzing Mathilda

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

"Here comes the rain again..."

Michael laughs at me constantly. Mainly because he is mean, but lately because I have been stressing over whether or not to water my garden. This is a big deal for me because:

1) I am trying to being environmentally conscious. (Making amends for being a non-vegetarian.) It's better for the environment if I use the rain that is already falling-helps conserve water.
2) Better for my budget. Now that I own a home, I have to pay for water. You become a lot more conscious about these sorta things. (And you, or at least me, begin to detest the people who turn on the water in public bathrooms and let it run while they dry their hands, brush their teeth, or adjust their hair. These people should be burned at the stake-I would suggest drowning but that might waste water.)
3) I'm lazy.
4) Watering my lawn sucks. I realized too late (read: after I had bought a hose, thrown away the receipt, and tore off the packaging) that I do not have a water faucet on the outside of my house. So I have equipped myself with my old lemonade pitcher and an empty milk gallon plastic thingy and make several trips back and forth to refill and water my garden. My garden has gotten so large that it takes about 6 trips now.

So I fervently watch weather reports (even more so than usual) and delight if it begins to look even the slightest bit overcast. Thing is, it turns out I am way more hopeful about whether or not it will rain than ABC's Chief Meterologist Doug Hill. If he says "scattered thunderstorms," I assume he means "Brunswick will get rain and Jamee doesn't have to water." Of course, I always assume wrong, so I don't water and my tomatoes begin to wilt and look very sad indeed.

(My cucumbers, on the other hand, have led to me to decide they are the cockroaches of the vegetable world. They never wilt and they proliferate like rabbits. Or nuclear arms. You decide.)

Michael always (meanly) jokes that I will be guaranteed rain if I water the garden.

And he is always right.

Erg.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:52 AM, Blogger Kelly said…

    I do the very same thing. And yes, it is sad.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home