Waltzing Mathilda

Thursday, July 06, 2006

SQUASH

I have squash!

I went out to my garden to vanquish my enemies, the Japanese beetles. I had read about two ways to do this:

1) Homemade insectide-mix 1 cup of vegetable oil, 1 cup of water, and 1 tbsp of dish soap. Spray on plants.
2) Pick beetles off. Mash into paste with water. Spray on plants.

The second option did not seem as enticing as the first. Luckily, the first method works very well. The beetles scattered, leaving me to inspect my monster squashes.

They are now halfway to the house. I'm a little frightened.

Anyways, I learned that I had three good-sized yellow squashes. As I need a side dish for our veggie burgers, everything worked out great. I also cut some lettuce to make a mandarin orange salad that my sister's sister-in-law makes. After I washed and trimmed both, I found out I need some parsley too. Back out to the garden. It was great-it's like having a supermarket in my backyard.

And I saw a baby tomato! I am so excited.

Yeah, I'm lame. But it's all good.

I am a bit ashamed to admit-I cut open one of the squashes-it was so perfect on the inside and I couldn't remember being more proud in my life. More so that when my kid was born. I am such a bad person.

But then again, I was on a lot of drugs at the time.

Yeah. That's my excuse.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home