Waltzing Mathilda

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

"Rose-Tint My World"

"Hey, do you have one of the dead kids in your class?"

Not something you would expect to hear in a public school. Unless it was Zombie County Public Schools. Mmmmmm.....brains.....

Really, it was drunk driving awareness day at the school I am at. To represent the number of deaths from drunk driving, 2 kids were called up to the office every 15 minutes to have their faces painted black. They then were not allowed to talk for the rest of the day. Earlier, in a staff meeting, the teachers complained that they hadn't been allowed to nominate students for this activity.

:) I myself could have nominated some.... After only two weeks...

I thought it was a nifty idea, but like all idealistic high school projects, I doubt it will have an effect on the students who really need the kick in the ass.

Teaching...is...hard. As I pick up more classes, I am amazed by how much work it is. But I do enjoy it and have yet to regret the decision I made.

Check back with me in May.

I am deeply amused by my fellow student teachers who think that because we are not interning in an inner city school, we don't have "issues." These are the ones amazed that middle -class, suburban kids use drugs (um, duh). Of course, they probably don't have students who are either a) in trouble with the law or b) pregnant. I have both of these. No, I am not trying to say that the challenges inner city school kids face are equivalent to those faced by surburban, fairly wealthy folk. But, dammit-there are problems everywhere. You just aren't looking hard enough if you don't see them.

1 Comments:

  • At 1:22 PM, Blogger Kevin Smith said…

    Oh the stories I could tell you about the high school I attended (granted, no one ever brought a gun to that school like they did to the one I used to teach at, but) we had our share of...challenged students.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home