Waltzing Mathilda

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

No, they do not look like Jeff Goldblum

I have already written extensively about my hatred for insects.

My newest hobby is killing flies. Mike and I came home one day, after a fairly rotten day at work, to find about 30 flies buzzing around the house. It sucked. Really sucked. The presence of flies makes my house feel soiled and forever dirty. See you have to visit sites like this to figure out what to get rid of them and the sites make you feel like a total slob. Really, I'm not THAT bad.

Am I?

I'm not sure where they came from-after doing some research on the matter and realizing how many possibilities there were, I wanted to block it all out. Could have been the tuna left out for the cat, the pre-lemonade lemons sitting on the table in a nice wooden bowl (IKEA-style), who knows? What I can tell you is I spent the next two hours roaming the house with a bottle of windex and a can of Raid (Kills bugs dead) looking for potential victims. Michael, ever the pacifist, wandered around the house with a magazine, gently urging the flies out the window and to their freedom. Not me. I drowned them in windex and gleefully trapped them between the window and the screen, joyously thinking about how they would spend the next day starving to death.

Yeah, sometimes I scare myself.

But they do not belong in my house. This is my house and they are not welcome.

Michael and I got rid of every one that we could see. But every day since, I have seen at least three, buzzing around my place like little conquistadors. I am going crazy, examining every black spot I see on the walls (I have whacked the same nail hole about five times) and gleefully getting rid of them (the real ones, not the nail holes).

Despite my hated for the buggers, some remorse for the ones I have killed has set in. Tonight, I found myself trying to use Michael's approach and urge two invaders out the window. The dumbasses couldn't figure out I was trying to save them and would not move in the direction I needed them to. I accidentally crushed them with our double-hung windows.

But I probably didn't feel as bad as I should have.

Seriously, though-check this site out. Look at the varieties. Don't they deserve to die horrible deaths?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home