Waltzing Mathilda

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

How My Brain Works

Be careful-you may not want to read on.

I was picking some basil in my garden for my tomato and mozzarella sandwiches. I had the thought, "What if the basil rose up and rebelled against being picked? What would I say to them to prove I had a right to eat them?" (No, I am not one of those people who think plants think, it was just a random thought that popped in my head.)

So the conversation would go like this:

Basil: You bastard! You just plucked off Jimmy!
Me: Sorry.
Basil: Why did you do that?
Me: Well, I planted you for the purpose of eating you. I'm hungry, so Jimmy the Basil has got to go.

In other words, as Bill Cosby put it, "I brought you into this world and I can take you out."

Almost godlike isn't it? No, I'm not being arrogant, but when bad things happen to people, we wonder why, right? I am one of those people who think things happen for a reason, a reason that I am unsure of and do not necessarily contribute to a deity or even anything tangible. I use this to explain many things in my life-from not getting a job to taking a wrong turn at a stop light. It happened for a reason. (i.e. because I got lost on the way home maybe I avoided a car accident so I shouldn't stress about getting lost.)

This is not to say that I use this as an excuse or a reason to not take any action at all. If you had to put it in more simple words, I would go with the "actors on a world stage" philosophy but would add in that we get to choose our own parts and speak our own lines.

I haven't decided yet if there is a director. But there is a general storyboard.

Well, it makes sense in my head.

But if you do believe in a Creator, is death just the Creator plucking us off the Earth because s/he/it is done with us (or, gulp, going to eat us)? This is what I was taught at church (well, not the God is gonna eat me part).

So this is what went through my mind in the two minutes it took for me to pick some basil. So for those of you who hang around me, this is what is happening when I am very quiet for a while or if you are asking me a question and I haven't responded in several minutes.

This is how my brain works.

Either that or I am sleeping.

3 Comments:

  • At 8:53 AM, Blogger Kelly said…

    You are so weird.

     
  • At 12:54 PM, Blogger alala said…

    But going on the God is gonna eat me premise, He (She, It, Whatever) picks most of us when we're old and scuzzy and probably not very appetizing. I'd wonder about that part.

     
  • At 12:05 PM, Blogger waltzingmathilda said…

    That's true, I hadn't thought about that. But maybe God just isn't a "foodie."

     

Post a Comment

<< Home