Waltzing Mathilda

Monday, July 10, 2006

Ouch

My hand feels like its on fire and has for the past 5 hours. Why, you might ask? Because I am an idiot.

Came home from work and wanted comfort food, not the healthy fish and salad I had set out to thaw the night before. So I decided to make enchiladas. I had both a jalapeno and a habanero I need to use up anyway.

Now, I have cut up peppers before with no gloves and no consequences. Tonight, however, after dinner was over and I was playing with Maddy on the floor, I realized my left hand was tingly. Then it started burning.

Not really being able to type, I asked Mike to search for remedies on the web. Most sites advise against rubbing your eyes (duh,even I knew that) and most also advise wearing gloves while cutting peppers.

Oops.

I found one site where this woman described cutting up a bunch of peppers, not really knowing the exact variety. Several hours later her hand started burning and she tried everything-water, lotion, ice, but nothing worked. Finally, she went to the emergency room where they administered the same lotion they use for burn victims.

I found another site where someone had done the exact same thing I did and wanted some home remedies for relief. Most people suggested to wear gloves next time.

So I have spent most of tonight holding ice packs, holding my hand under running water, soaking it in milk, and drinking White Russians (hey, its a cold, frosty glass). Nothing really helps. I read that it usually takes 12-15 hours to wear off.

This is what I get for not sticking to my diet.

2 Comments:

  • At 4:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Scotch and/or red wine usually takes care of my complaints in the pain department. Barring that, I start cutting off toes.

     
  • At 10:33 PM, Blogger waltzingmathilda said…

    Hmmm...scotch sounds nice. What do you recommend? I've only had it twice-one time was at in Scotland on the whisky tour. I think scotch and whisky are the same, no? Otherwise, whiskey has the "e"? Kahlua is still my liqueur of choice but I am trying to expand. And trying to figure out how to build a bar in my house.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home