Waltzing Mathilda

Sunday, January 21, 2007

Movie Reviews

Children of Men-possibly one of the best movies I have ever seen. Many of the shots are amazing, the cinematography is gorgeous, and I got to look at Clive Owen for 2 hours. And Julianne Moore didn't irritate me like she normally does. But I actually got very emotionally involved in this one-even cried out loud at one point when I thought something bad was going to happen. I highly recommend it.

Idiocracy-Not Office Space. Not even close. When we finished it, I declared it was not worth watching a second time. However, as I have proceeded through this week and encountered many idiots, I have gained more appreciation for it. Still not sure I would recommend it though.

The Descent-I was so not interested in seeing this movie, I decided to catch up on some sewing while watching it. And after the first few minutes, it starts to feel like a crappy horror film but once the action gets going, the feeling changes dramatically. Luckily for me, the filmmakers successfully avoided some of the more damaging horror movie cliches (there are some still in there-you can pretty much figure out who is gonna make it after the first 10 minutes. Admittedly though, the all-female cast helps avoid most of the cliches) and not only was I very entertained but very tense and high-strung at the end of it-to the point that it bothered me a great deal that we had our blinds up and it was VERY black outside. We both had to watch something funny to shake it off. In short, it was Kill Bill meets Alien. Certainly not one of the best horror films ever, but certainly one of the better new/original ones I have seen in a very long time. Word of Warning-only get the British version. The endings are only slightly different, but it makes all the difference in the world between a crappy horror movie and a thougtful one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home