Waltzing Mathilda

Friday, October 12, 2007

Bye Bye Miss American Pie

I feel horribly guilty about leaving tomorrow (for Vegas on a business trip). I decided early today that 1) I was gonna keep Tilda home with me so I could spend the day with her 2) I was going to make Mike's favorite dinner (Tuscan Meatballs) and 3) I was going to bake, from scratch, a colonial-era pumpkin pie.

I started around noon with the crust. I never made a pie crust before and think I did everything right. Between the mixing, freezing, and resting, the crust itself took two hours and looked like it would cook up nicely. I threw the rest of it together thinking it would be smooth sailing from then on.

Only to learn that one cannot substitute heavy cream for whipping cream.

Mike, who avoids my Food Network addiction as much as possible, even rolled his eyes when I told him about the substitution. "Well, that won't work."

The pie never baked right and ended up cooked on top, but forever gooey in the middle. Bleah. I ended its short, but nicely-spicy-smelling life in the trash.

Erg.

My guilt was then increased even more since I had been telling Ma~ all day that she was going to get "cake." (see previous entry regarding said child's fondness for cake)

I am a terrible mother.

So I did an emergency run to the Stupidfresh for ice cream. Ben & Jerry's Mint Chocolate Cookie-usually my favorite. It tasted okay.

But not as good as punkin pie. :(

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home