Waltzing Mathilda

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Random Thoughts for June 22nd

Going to the Old Dominion Beerfest this weekend in Ashburn VA with my sister and the 'rents. Which just seems kinda wrong in its own way. I can't gloat about going to my coworkers tomorrow-what am I going to say-"Hey, I'm gonna get toasted with the pah-rents!"? But I am looking forward to it-I used to live not 5 minutes from this brewery and have wanted to go to this for the past four years. The first three years I was plum broke so finally 2005 was gonna be the year. But I got knocked up. Oh well. But it should be fun-a ton of beer and...um...music...and..um...beer.

What is funny about this particular beerfest is that it runs for three days and on Sunday, the last day, they conclude the weekend's festivities with a 10K run. Now, for just a moment, close your eyes and visualize a 10K showcasing runners who have spent the past 72 hours guzzling beer.

Fantastic, isn't it?

I have been thinking about taking our video camera there and saving the footage in the event I ever make a movie about zombies.

Score in Bugs vs Jamee-Bugs 1, Jamee 6. But the bug victory today was more like the US score in their game vs Italy in the World Cup-I accidentally sprayed myself in the eye with ant killer.

No, I don't follow soccer or even most sports. (I occasionally follow the Pats during football season). I just listen to the news. A lot. Which is why I am in an unpleasant mood most of the time. A daily reminder about our sad, scary world and our incompetent government.

For the most part though, the only person I work with now is Maddy. I sit at the computer desk while she plays at my feet, taking the occasional break to feed or change her. Then Michael comes home and starts whining about the shit he has to deal with at work, not thinking about the shit I have to deal with. Literally.

Speaking of which, I don't do laundry. It's not that I mind doing laundry, its that I don't even think about it until I start to get dressed in the morning and realize there's nothing to wear. Michael can't stand this and does laundry constantly. Which doesn't make sense-I mean, if I'm home, I can just throw a load in, right? Doesn't take too much time. But I forget and I think Michael has devised a way to make me remember.

Lately he has been changing Maddy's diaper first thing in the morning. I am beginning to think he deliberately fastens it wrong so that when she has her morning bowel movement, (like clockwork I tell you-I start to smell something funky and think "oh, it must be 7:43 am") it sprays upward, soils her clothes and everything that surrounds her, and serves as a "potent" reminder that I need to do laundry.

I haven't told him my theory. I'm sure he would deny everything.

It has been damn hot here outside the nation's capital. My vegetable garden, which was doing so well (and was far superior to my sister's) looked really sad today. If a plant could look dejected, these were it. It did rain this morning and we are supposed to get sporadic thunderstorms all week so maybe that will help. I did see the most tiny bell shaped thingies on my pepper plants-I am thrilled.

And my last random thought for the day: I realized my biggest fear is that Maddy will grow up to be an entomologist. Please, Jeebus, anything but that.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:57 AM, Blogger Kelly said…

    At least your eyeballs won't be infested with ants.

    And your veg garden is NOT better than mine. I'm EATING things out of mine, you only WISH you could eat things out of yours.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home