Waltzing Mathilda

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Super Secret Hot Mix

Which, as of today, is no longer a secret.

First off, I had planned my hot mix to be a sort of one-night-stand through music. It has phases and "climaxes" at a point. I have tried to give a short reason and verse to show why I like the song or included it in my mix.

Phase I: You're Kinda Cute
1) Baby Got Back by Richard Cheese-Just a terrific version of this song. Somehow he makes it sleazy in a creepy sorta way. Gotta appreciate that kind of skill.
"Turn around, stick it out, even white boys got to shout."
2) You're Pretty Good Looking by The White Stripes. I appreciate this song for its retro feel-sounds like a 60s or 70s band.
"You're pretty good looking for a girl."
3) Raspberry Beret by Prince. My husband, who also participated in the hot mix, and I had to flip over this song. We had two versions, one by Prince and one by Warren Zevon. Both are awesome. "Raspberry beret-when it was warm, she didn't wear much more."

Phase II: Desire
4) Honest Pleasure by James. I can't think of anything to say about this one. I just like it.
"She's so holy, please anoint me, at her temple I feel at home."
5) I Want Your Body by Screamin' Jay Hawkins. Screamin' Jay is awesome and once you learn about the 57 kids he supposedly fathered, you have to concede that if anyone knew how to seduce someone, it was Screamin Jay.
"I want to feel your hot breath across my thigh."
6) Auf Auchse by Franz Ferdinand. I really like this song. Couldn't exactly tell you what they think it's about, but I felt it fit in with my theme.
"You see her, you can't touch her..."
7) Kiss by Tom Jones-What's not to like about this song, Tom Jones, or the idea of Tom Jones covering Prince?
"You can leave it up to me-we can have a good time."

Phase III: Seduction
8) Hips Don't Lie by Shakira featuring Wyclef Jean. This is my all-time favorite guilty pleasure-this is the song that I turn up loud and sing at the top of my lungs when no one else is in the car.
"She make a man want to speak Spanish."
9) Girl, You'll be a Woman Soon by Urge Overkill. I've never seen Pulp Fiction (it is on my To Do list. Everyone I know who has seen it has told me I would like it.) so I have to admit that this song is on my list simply because I thought the title was fitting.
"Girl, you'll be a woman soon."
10) Moondance by Van Morrison. An American Werewolf in London is one of the first movies I ever watched. It is still one of my all-time favorite movies and the shower scene in this, set to this song, is one of the hottest in film history. If you haven't seen it, check it out.
"A fantabulous night to make romance-'neath the cover of October skies." (At least, I think he is saying "fantabulous".)

Phase IV: "It"
11) Why Don't We Do It In the Road? by The Beatles. This is one of the songs my father used to blast in our house in Bermuda-since we lived in cruddy military housing, the walls would vibrate. Needless to say, I have fond memories of the song. Took me years to figure out what they were singing about.
"No one will be watching us-why don't we do it in the road?"
12) Laid by James. Most people recognize this song from the promotional ads from American Pie.
"Dressed me up in women's clothes, messed around with gender roles..."
13) Gett Off by Prince. I was listening to our iPod one day scouting for songs to put on my hot mix. This song, which I had never heard before, came up and I took it as a sign that the Divine wanted this on my mix and condoned Prince's dirty, dirty lyrics.
"23 positions in a one-night stand."
14) Loverman by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds. I think this song might have been on my Evil Mix. I'm too lazy to look. But this song fits with my theme, and you have to appreciate the creative license Cave takes with the alphabet.
"V is for virtue so I ain't gonna hurt you, E is for even if you want me to."
15) Closer by Nine Inch Nails. My husband is concerned that I used this as the "climax" song. I think he's scared. Heh heh.
"You've got me closer to God."

Phase V: Postcoitus
16) About Her by Malcom McLaren. This is a fantastic mix of this song (I like the original too).
"Well it's too late to say you're sorry."
17) Don't Come Around Here No More by Tom Petty. I like Tom Petty, but get tired of listening to him pretty quickly. But this song fit with the direction I wanted to go and I always loved the video (Remember? when MTV used to show music videos? Yeah, it was back in the day.)
"You tangle my emotions."
18) I Got It From Agnes by Tom Lehrer. I hate Tom Lehrer. But I have to admit, this song is kinda funny.
"I got it from Agnes. She got it from Jim. We all agree it must have been Louise who gave it to me. "

Enjoy! (I hope)

2 Comments:

  • At 8:07 PM, Blogger Natsthename said…

    I got your mix and I LOVE it! Do you know how happy/surprised I was to hear James in the mix?

    I also love the flow of this mix. I interpreted it as "let's do it" "we did it," and "Now we have to pay the piper for it."

    Thanks for the great mix!

     
  • At 2:28 AM, Blogger Puck said…

    Oh my, I love - LOVE - how you mixed these as a "theme within a theme"... whoever got your mix got a rockin', sexy, hot mix!!! YUM!!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home