Waltzing Mathilda

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Tuesdays with Rory

I picked my favorite niece up from the Y tonight. On the way home, we talked about various things-the Christmas lights on the houses (pretty!), swimming (no, silly Jamee, they don't read books in the pool), and Christmas (btw Santa, Rory wants a princess, a prince, and a monster). While we were almost home when Rory out of the blue said, "Jamee, what about the cheese?"

Ah yes. The cheese. My sister has a penchant for Manchego cheese. I found a hunk of it at Costco, bought it, and called her to tell her about my find. It was all hers, I informed her. $12 bucks worth of cheese.

But alas-Michael one day went to make his yummy (and healthy) verison of Egg McMuffins and we were out of the cheese we typically used. So we cut into the Manchego. It was wonderful. So wonderful, in fact, that when Kelly dropped off her Lard Cookies of Doom last night and went to collect her cheese, there was none to be had. She was very sad and called to leave threatening messages on my cell phone.

Which Rory must have overheard.

"You ate Mommy's cheese, Jamee."
"Um, no I didn't." (Yes, I lied to a four year old.)
"But what happened to it?" (Kid has a future as a the Bad Cop half of a police team.)
"Um, Rory, what type of animal likes cheese more than anything else?"
"Mommy."
"No, no. More than mommy."
"Mice!"
"That's right. So guess who ate the cheese?" (See, here I'm not technically lying to the kid. I'm encouraging her to make her own connections.)
Rory, obviously thinking hard. "Michael mice."
"BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA."

1 Comments:

  • At 9:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ha! That's great.

    I still want my cheese though.

    CHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESE!!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home