Waltzing Mathilda

Sunday, June 01, 2008

"Excuse me, Chinese Waiter?"

So Saturday was the Maryland Spring Brewer's Fest. It was pretty good, despite a thunderstorm and tornado watch (outdoor event, if you have not gathered that already). I got to sample one of the BEST BEERS EVER (Ginger Rye beer-yum!) and after a few hours was pretty tired. All in all, I only had the equivalent of three beers, but I was pretty wiped.

So I came home, took a hot shower and collapsed on the bed, with my arms spread like a mo'. Put it this way-it is 36 hours later and my arms still ache from my crucified-while-on-my-stomach sleeping-position.

Too tired to make dinner, so we order Chinese food. We always get steamed pork dumplings. They are delicious (and only about 60 calories!).

Now Tilda, who eats everything 68% of the time, asked for a dumpling but screeched when I tried to cut it up for her. ( A new thing. Not fond of it.) So I dumped it on her plate and turned my attention back to my spicy Singapore Curry, my own dumplings and The Daily Show. At some point, Tilda sidles up to me.

And promptly spits a half-chewed, pork dumpling into my plate of food.

(Apparently another new thing-she did it again this morning. Also not fond of it.)

At first I was really concerned, thinking that she was sick. It took me a few minutes of alternately looking down out my plate and her to realize that she had simply decided that it was too hot or she didn't like it. Michael, however, had seen the whole thing and had never thought she was sick. Therefore, his face was about to explode between wanting to laugh his fool head off and being entirely aghast.

So Tilda got sent to time-out, where she merrily stared at the wall and sang to herself. (Another new thing-time-outs are almost entirely ineffective. )

Michael, even now, gets a contorted snickering look on his face when the incident comes up in conversation.

Other than my regurgitating child, the only other news is that Kelly and I bought a canoe. 20 years old, complete with paddles, a roof rack and life jackets. For only $99! We have talked about going in on a canoe together for years. Now our new goal is to not kill ourselves in it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home