Waltzing Mathilda

Monday, June 23, 2008

Road Trip! (Not!)

So, my poor G was hospitalized while we were in Seattle with double pneumonia. She doesn't have a good lung to begin with and she is 86 years old. We are all worried about her.

She was supposed to come visit us tomorrow, but that is not going to happen. I was really looking forward to driving home on Wednesday and seeing her. I bought her a pound of her favorite candy while in Seattle. She sounds sad on the phone. I told my mother I would do anything necessary to bring her here so we can take care of her for a few weeks-drive, fly, whatever...

What started (in my view) as an offering for me to accompany G here then grew into the idea that Mom, Dad, Tilda and I would drive to Ohio (a ten hour trip) to go get her and try to get her to come back with us. Then my sister wanted to come, but didn't think she could get the leave. Then Dad couldn't get the leave. Then he could. Then Tilda wasn't coming. Now she is. Then Kelly said she would bring Calliope and Rory. Then she wasn't. Then she was. Then I had realized I had assumed I could take off on Friday, but had not yet asked (it was no problem.)Then Dad was going to stay. Then I was confused and offered to stay home with Tilda so as not to overwhelm G. Then that was a bad idea, so now I am going.

What started out as one person coming here has now transformed into four adults traveling to Ohio, three of whom are crazy (see how I leave you out of this, Dad? That's called love.) and three children (all of whom are manipulative psychopaths) going on a 10 hour car trip to go see/kidnap G.

We went from "sitcom" to "reality show" in the course of seven hours. No really-someone needs to pay us to film this trip.

My sister and mother claim it will be "fun." An "adventure." Which shows that they have already snapped. I 'm sure I don't have far to go myself. I will qualify for the asylum before we hit W.VA (by the way, W. VA is like 2 minutes from my house.)

2 Comments:

  • At 8:19 AM, Blogger Kelly said…

    A couple of things.

    Clio isn't a manipulative psychopath. YET.

    Also, I am not crazy. YET.

    Dad IS crazy. He's just quiet about it, unlike the rest of you freaks.

    I'll bring the video camera.

    And the duct tape.

    You bring the tequila.

     
  • At 12:06 PM, Blogger Kevin Smith said…

    hmmm

    video camera?

    duct tape?

    tequila?

    in many places you have to pay extra for that sort of thing.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home