Waltzing Mathilda

Tuesday, June 03, 2008

The Meadow Party Platform

And now for some deep, political insight.

First off, let me state that I consider myself an independent. I always thought that I would be able to vote for either party, depending on who I thought would be the best candidate.

When this whole circus started-what, 2, 3 years ago it seems?-I hoped either McCain or Huckabee would win the Republican nomination. McCain because he seemed to be the lesser of the other evils and Huckabee because, well, I would get to giggle hysterically every time I heard the term "President Huckabee" and you can't buy that kind of joy.

(Although you can move to West Virginia where someone with the last name "BOOBER" is running for commissioner or something. I don't even know what. All I know is that their last name is BOOBER. Ha!)

For the Democrats, I never saw much difference between the two frontrunners except for, well, the obvious physical differences. Their plans seem pretty similar. Either one winning would be historic for the USA and a great leap into the future. I always thought Hillary seemed more negative and cutthroat, but hey-still way better than what we currently have, right? Couldn't do worse if we elected a rock to the presidency.

(The only thing that gave me real pause about Hillary is kind of silly, but I couldn't shake it-it was the last name. It seemed so wrong to me that if she got elected we would have had an alternating dynasty in the American presidency for a quarter of a century. It didn't seem right and didn't seem like change. But I digress.)

And can I also mention that, as an independent in the state of Maryland, I was not able to vote in any primary. So my opinions are worth nothing anyway.

But now it seems to be closing up and I would be happy to support Obama. Not only because of the historic nature of his presidency, but also because of his seeming (he is still a politician) willingness to talk candidly to the American people about the state we are in. That is the change I think he represents. Honesty. Truth.

No more bullshit.

I am sick of the lies, misdirection and divisiveness I have experienced in the last 8 years. No MORE. Americans are willing to suck up the mistakes we have made, make plans, improve and move on. Stop whining, keep the best interests of the people and not the corporations and executives in mind and lets get to work, OK?

The other reason I will support Obama to the fullest?

Maddy screeches happily whenever she sees him on TV, jumps up and down, points at the screen and shouts "Bok Omama! Bok Omama!"

And cuteness is a platform I can TOTALLY get behind.

In other news...
I have stopped my Food Network obsession and have switched back to obsessing about HGTV. Damn the housing market! Hearing about the declining market on my commute home EVERY DAY makes me want to renovate my horrible kitchen even more. Looks like I will be in this house longer than I thought.

I have even sucked Michael into my home renovation viewing and have assaulted him with questions about his preferences, options, etc...His main contribution so far? "Get them to do it!" he says, while gesturing at the HGTV gods of renovation.

So I spent an hour tonight writing various essays to HGTV, imploring them to "Spice Up My Kitchen," "Renovate My Space" and "Design on a Dime." Although the idea of having a TV crew in my house freaks me out a bit (quite a bit, actually), I can relax in knowing that they can't do much harm to my already crappy kitchen.

And besides, I doubt we will get picked anyway.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:23 PM, Blogger Emily R said…

    My mom would be so proud. She was obsessed with HGTV!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home