Waltzing Mathilda

Saturday, October 21, 2006

Game Face

We have to be at work by 7 am in the morning. I don't mind getting up early, but I do mind walking several blocks to the convention center, in the dark, carrying expensive computer equipment. I asked the doorman prior to leaving my hotel how safe it was to walk around town. He said it was OK, but like any city you have to put on a certain "face." So I did my best to work up a combination "It's-early-and-I'm-tired-so-I-don't-have-time-to-look-at-you-but-I-could-take-you-on-if-I-had-to" face (yeah right). Halfway to the convention center, a man was hosing off the entrance to some scummy looking hotel (hosing? really? why? ick. sorry I asked), looked me up and down, and said "Good morning to you, sweetie" as I walked past. I did what I normally do when strange people talk to me, which is to turn bright red.

Gotta improve my "city face." It's not good when my defense mechanism consists of turning into a tomato with hair.

I was told by my coworker that there would be plenty of breakfast options in the convention center. She was right. I have my choice of Starbucks in A wing or Starbucks in B wing.

San Diego is comprised of nothing but restaurants and Navy guys. Every time I see a guy in one of those beige uniforms, especially with the naval ships in the background, I think of my dad and growing up on Navy bases. It's kinda comforting. Whodathunk the military would do that for me?

Tonight we ate at an Indian restaurant called Masala or Monsoon. I can't remember. I had something called a Chai-tini. Should be right up my alley-Chai tea, Kahlua, and Frangelico. It was ok. Not great. We had garlic naan (my indian place in Ashburn, Banjara, is waaay better, samosas with mint chutney(Masala/Monsoon's is the best I've had-was quit spicy) and some curried bananas.

Yep, you read that right. Curried bananas-bananas stuffed with spices and cooked in a cream sauce. I took a chance on it since it was the most unfamiliar thing on the menu. It shouldn't have worked, but it was quite lovely.

I tried to call Michael tonight but he had his phone off. Probably watching Battlestar. Everyone has their priorites. As usual. I realized walking to dinner that tonight was Friday (yes, it took me all day to realize what day it was) and that Battlestar was coming on and I was going to miss it. Drat! I know Michael is going to gloat.

Well, once again, its getting late and I have to get up early tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home