Waltzing Mathilda

Sunday, October 22, 2006

Waste and Opulence

First off-

"Dear Mom,

I walked through the streets of San Diego at midnight tonight. I did not get mugged, raped, or murdered. I am sorry to disappoint you. Perhaps you will get to jump for joy screaming 'I was right, I was right' another time."

bttw-one of my coworkers just got a message that one of her best friends in VA, who has a 6 month old baby, had their house broken into tonight by a knifewelding dude. Risk is everywhere.

In fact, as I type, I am certain BillMurray is attacking some part of Michael's anatomy.

Now-

I spent two hours walking around San Diego today and have determind is full of nothing but restaurants, seamen, and homeless people. This point is brought home especially in the morning, around 7am, when there is no one else on the street except for people who look like they are living out of the grocery bags they carry around. A mere twelve hours later, the streets are filled with trendy, (and untrendy-let me tell you about this chick I saw with a skirt the width of my thumb) young people, plopping down $20 per dish on a meal and $7-$14 per wine/beer/cocktail. The disparity between the two is truly disheartening.

Tonight's meal was at a Persian restaurant. The hummus was spectacular (I thought the avocado hummus would basically be guacamole with chickpeas but it tasted more like indian mint chutney) but the rest of the food was just ok. But they served so much of it! I ate only 1/5 of my meal and was stuffed. Everyone at my table felt bad about the food going to waste, especially since we had seen so many homeless people in the city. My boss even bagged up the rest of her food in the hopes that we would see someone on the street that could use it.

But then comes the issue-how insulting is it to say "Here's my leftovers-eat and enjoy!"?

I feel like I can't justify my existence if I participate in this charade but, because this is a part of my job I'm not sure what to do.

All I know is it makes me kinda sick.

And I'm ultra excited because I get to sleep in tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home