Waltzing Mathilda

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

THIS is why I don't like going anywhere

I end up having to write letters like this:

"December 19, 2006

Dear Mr H-,

I am writing to express my extreme displeasure regarding an incident that occurred today at your store.

After dropping my car off for an oil change, I stopped into your store to get some gelatin and perhaps some salami to make holiday gifts for my family. I selected a box of gelatin and walked around to the deli section to look at the salami. As there was very little selection as usual, I walked around to the meat section to see if there was anything else. Since the selection was still slim, I decided to not buy anything at all and head home instead. I put the gelatin back and headed for the door.

I was tapped on the back by your employee Lester who demanded to know where I had put the Nyquil. I had no idea what he was talking about and told him I did not have any Nyquil. He asked again and I began to understand that he thought I was shoplifting. I explained that I did not have any Nyquil, that he was welcome to search my belongings and I began pulling out what I had in my pockets-some packs of gum, my wallet, keys and cell phone. I took off my sweatshirt as well. He still wanted to know where I had put the Nyquil. I explained that I had never gone near any Nyquil and that I had briefly considered buying some gelatin. I then had to show him where the gelatin was. He threatened me with viewing the security cameras and I told him I would gladly stay in the store while he did so. I then asked for an apology, which I did not get, the name of his manager, and a store phone number. I had to ask him for that information twice.

I am a mother, wife, and good citizen. And frankly, I make enough money that I do not need to steal. While I understand that shoplifting is a serious problem for retailers, I do NOT understand why the situation was handled in this manner. I was confronted near the door and the checkout registers where anyone could overhear. I do not think you should allow your store’s patrons to be treated in this way. At the very least, Lester could have pulled me quietly aside to explain the situation to me and allow me to explain/defend myself. Last time I checked, I lived in America, where you are innocent until proven guilty. I do not think grocery store employees should assert themselves as judge and jury.

I expect an apology from your store and I hope you consider retraining your employees to better handle these situations. For my own part, I will never shop at your store again and I am certain my friends and family will follow suit. I am also copying this letter to your corporate headquarters.

Sincerely, "

2 Comments:

  • At 7:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Friends and Family would like to know which store it was...

     
  • At 10:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I hope you go back to store manager and talk to him about this. It was handled poorly and they should know that. Sorry you had a bad day.
    Md

     

Post a Comment

<< Home