Waltzing Mathilda

Monday, January 01, 2007

RESOLVE

I don't quite believe in resolutions anymore so I am not going to bother with them this year. In the past, I have. Now I just have a continuous resolution to better myself in any way I can think of, regardless of what the day is.

Man, 2006 went by fast. Really sucks. I feel like Thanksgiving should just be around the corner and yet it January 1 2007 already. In fact, last night before going to sleep, I was gripped by a sudden fear that I would wake up and find myself 60 years older, wondering where the days went. That's how concerned I am that time is passing too quickly.

And it's all very depressing. I will be 27 this year, 3 years shy of 30. No, I don't consider 30 old, but it seems strange that I am closer to that age than 21. I will have a 2 year old this year. Been married for 6 years, have a house (and mortgage), and will (hopefully)(finally) finish my master's degree. Not complaining, it just seems strange to me that I fit that description. Where did the time go?

Zen Question of the Day: If you were to die today, would you be satisfied with your life thus far?
Bonus Question: If the answer is "no," is that a bad thing? Is the ultimate goal contentment or should we always be pursuing something to keep ourselves occupied? How do you define a "successful" life?

On to other matters:

Weight-loss challenge update:

Me: 146.4 (down 4.9lbs)
Mike: 201 (down 2.2 lbs)
Total loss: 7.1 lbs (that's a baby!)

Not bad considering we have past the major holidays for now (including my sister-in-law's delicious lemon cookies-who'd have thought lemon cake mix + tub o' cool whip + confectioners sugar = yummy? Man, I love food math.)

So I am content with our progress thus far, but know we need to buckle down to meet the April 1st deadline. I am sure the Y is going to be swamped this month, but am equally sure that will change in February. I am ultra-excited about the Y because I was set up on their weight lifting computer program. I have not lifted weights seriously since doing track & field in high school when I enjoyed it a great deal. Unfortunately, word on the C & O canal (i.e. conversing with my sister during our 4-5 mile runs) is that Kev is getting in shape for Aussie Rules, meaning he will probably kick our butts. Oh well.

I do have updated baby Christmas pics which I will post as soon as I find my camera.

Anyways, Happy New Year's to you all!






2 Comments:

  • At 12:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I've only been 27 for two weeks and I have woken up every morning thinking, "I must do something meaningful today. My life will be such a waste if I don't." Not that I think I've lived a bad life but there is something about turning 27 that depresses you and makes you evaluate yourself endlessly. I keep thinking, "I must make a difference before my next birthday!" and my next birthday is 11.5 months away...but that seems like too short a time.

    Congratulations...you've met neurotic Renee *grin*

     
  • At 8:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Zen Question of the Day: If you were to die today, would you be satisfied with your life thus far?

    No.

    Bonus Question: If the answer is "no," is that a bad thing?

    And no, I don't think its a bad thing. If you have nothing to strive for, nothing you want to do, be, see, whatver, what reason do you have to live at all?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home