Waltzing Mathilda

Monday, November 12, 2007

Mango and Black Spice

Bourbon Street is seedy, smelly, and dirty.

It is everything I thought and would want it to be.

I love New Orleans.

And I can't quite put my finger on it. It seems real to me-completely true to human form. Like Vegas, but less corporate and less censored. People break out in to song, for love or for money. But it just feels comfortable.

I have been in Denver, Boston, Las Vegas, San Diego, Honolulu, D.C., Seattle, and New Orleans. New Orleans feels the most comfortable.

Work has been nonstop busy and stressful. We soothe ourselves with fine food and drink. My favorite so far is a local dive, sort of a proto-Cracker Barrel. It's called Mother's and it always has a line and a man at the door named Elvis doing meet and greet. They have the best buttermilk biscuits ever. The food is not good for you, but totally worth it. Michael would love it.

Speaking of which, I have been searching all over for the New Orleans Vodka, something I cannot find at home. I have asked every single bartender I have encountered if they have it. Finally, after coming back to my hotel after a long day and having wading through disappointed and drunk Saints fans, I thought I would check my own hotel bar before crashing in my room. They had it. Its brilliant.

I don't know if I would have enjoyed New Orleans has much pre-Katrina. I don't know if my expectations are lower, so I am happily pleased with what I see. I don't know if I am enjoying it so much just because I want it to succeed. But it just feels comfortable.

Tomorrow is my last night. I am kinda disappointed about that-I feel like there is so much more I could have seen. Oh well. Next time? If there is a next time?

P.S. I had a Bourbon Milkshake. Yum.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home