Waltzing Mathilda

Sunday, December 02, 2007

So

Michael took offense at my previous post. (Of course he did.) But if someone who has known me for almost 11 years now does not understand my meaning, then perhaps I did not explain my position on Christmas well enough.

I was not angry about buying people presents-I am just frustrated that I do not have the various resources (money, taste, and retailers) to buy presents that I deem truly worthy of the people I would like to get presents for. So because I can't find things I would truly want to buy, I am forced to go off of people's "wish lists." Which is fine, but I feel it makes the whole process sort of obligatory. I'm sorry, but buying a DVD or a mass market book for someone does not fully express the appreciation I feel for them.

And don't get me wrong-this is totally a two-way street. I would rather not get presents at all then have someone get me something because they feel obligated to do so. Really, with no hard feelings. If you see something and think of me, fine. If my birthday is coming up and you can't find anything, then that's fine too. Don't buy something because society says you should. Make me food or take me out to dinner and I will be thrilled. Believe me. I love food.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home