Waltzing Mathilda

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Valentine's Day Massacre

I despise Valentine's Day. Right after New Year's, we are subjected to ads proclaiming that jewelry is the only way to earn "Her Love." Diamonds, gold...anything less, and you are the scum of the earth.

For one, I don't wear jewelry. Can't stand it. Don't even wear a wedding ring.

Two, I can't fathom the thought that one must follow a script in order to win someone's heart.

Today, Michael and I did not exchange cards. Didn't feel that Hallmark needed the profit for their canned sentiments.

I did not get a box of generic and generally foul-tasting chocolates. Neither did Michael. Instead, I made his one of his favorite desserts-White Russian Cupcakes. And right now, he is making one of mine-chocolate-covered strawberries. Both are inexpensive, but heart-felt because there is work involved and it shows that we are thoughtful of one another.

No presents. Just perfect.

In fact, because of the snow day and the fact we all got to spend the day together at home, it was probably the best Valentine's Day ever.

We started watching Scrubs on the recommendation of Kelly. Genius.

And this is the best thing I have heard all day.

2 Comments:

  • At 3:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    OH I love "Scrubs"!! Been watching since day one.

    And it's good to know that another married female out there doesn't wear a wedding ring. Of course I lost mine...and I keep telling Chip I don't want another one but he keeps insisting on buying it.

     
  • At 7:46 AM, Blogger waltzingmathilda said…

    Cool. In our littl home, Mike is actually the one that lost his wedding ring-which I was grateful for, since we got married the same week Lord of the Rings came out and he kept referring to it as "My Precious," which, as you can imagine, gets old pretty quick. I just stopped wearing mine since I found it irritating and unnecessary. Plus, there are other things I would rather spend $70 on.

    Mike did have a former co-worker tell him that we were no longer married since he lost his ring. Ha!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home