Waltzing Mathilda

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Happy Birthday Tilda!!!

You are two! Your great-grandfather died! Your great-grandmother had a stroke!

What a week it has been.

Mike's grandfather, a sweet man who always said "toot toot" to Maddy and also said nice things about me, ("Michael, who is this pretty girl you have with you?") died on Saturday. I didn't know him well and, for the past few years, he would always fall asleep whenever we were over, but I think he must have been a mighty fine man. He was married to his wife Eunice for 65 years, raised 3 wonderful children into fine adults, and got to see grandchildren, great grandchildren, and one great-grand child.

As a retired fireman, his funeral was quite unusual and interesting-a guard of firemen kept watch during the viewing and a fire truck led the way to his gravesite.

In a strange way, I will miss him. He was not my grandfather, but the only grandfather I truly knew died 16 years ago and my other grandfather I don't know very well. In other words, he was close to a grandfather as I could have at this point.

I worry about Mike's grandmother. She must have known this is coming but how do you go on without someone you have lived with for 65 years?

I think about myself in her position, trying to come to grips with Mike's death, and cannot bear it. She is a strong lady.

I came back from Hampton first thing this morning, went straight to work, and came home when my mom called me to tell me that my own G may have had a stroke. We are all waiting for more information.

Meanwhile, ~ has turned 2 years old. Time flies. Life moves on. Cookies get eaten.

Tenatively, we will be heading to the zoo this weekend to celebrate Maddy's birthday. She has never been to the zoo and I think she will enjoy it.

Happy Birthday, Kiddo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home