Waltzing Mathilda

Friday, April 11, 2008

Fitter, Happier, More Productive...

Suprisingly, Charlotte seems to be full of pretty healty people.

When one thinks of North Carolina, one thinks of the South, BBQ, fried chicken, etc...so I am pretty shocked to observe that most of the people I see in Charlotte's Uptown (think 95%) seem healthy and fit. At lunch, most people around me were chomping on salads and water. (Myself, yes, a salad but also a sampler of beer from Rock Bottom Brewery.)

They also seem to be happy people. Haven't seen anyone who has acted unpleasant, mad or sad.

I have only seen two homeless guys. They are the same ones and occupy the same corner. They sidle up to a group, nod enthusiastically at whatever the conversation happens to be and then politely and excitedly ask for spare change.

In short, it's kinda creeping me out.

But in this Uptown area, there really is nothing to do. I ended up walking around aimlessly for a few hours and then camped out in this little park and bothered my mom for awhile. Ended up getting sunburned. Egad, I am pale.

Or was. Now I am red.

Did I mention that I don't have access to Food Network? It makes me a little jittery. Very limited number of channels in the hotel room. Right now, Peter Jackson's King Kong is the only thing on. Not exactly my favorite film-I think it is kinda pretentious in a way. But I also recognize that what I see as pretentiousness might just be Peter Jackson's fanboyish love of the original after decades of fermentation. A yeasty brew of geekdom.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:57 AM, Blogger Kevin Smith said…

    For everything Jackson got right in Lord of the Rings, he got just as much wrong in Kong - the pacing, the casting, the CGI, the attempts at casting outside the norm (Jack Black v. Viggo Mortensen). It just seems like he tried really hard to replicate the same formula with which he previously had success to little avail.

    As for Rock Bottom - interesting thing about them, unlike Gordon Biersch, Rock Bottom allows their brewers to cater their beers to local tastes. What you got down there is probably different from what you would get from the Rock Bottom in Bethesda.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home