Waltzing Mathilda

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Camp

Last time I went camping, I must have been in high school. My church group and I went kayaking on the James River. The only thing I recall about this trip is getting the worst sunburn I have ever had in my life, a giant spider crawling on my shoulder and manically whacking a giant spider with my paddle. Oh, and there was this annoying kid that we kept ramming our boat into.

Prior to that I went camping twice. Both times were beach camping, once with Girl Scouts in Puerto Rico and once in Bermuda as a class trip.

In short, my camping experience is lacking.

So I am not quite sure why I have decided to go to Floydfest this year with Tilda, my sister and my 8 year old niece. As has been well-documented, I am not fond of bugs. I am quite fond of air-conditioning. I have been disappointed with 50% of the live music shows I have been to. And I don't quite know how to camp.

So why am I doing this? Well, I promised my sister and my daughter. I hate breaking promises. We can't really afford to go on vacation this year, so we have been stuck at home all summer. I have been working my ass off all summer, thereby ruining the best thing about being a teacher.

But mainly it is because, at the ripe age of 29, I am old and stuck in my ways. I like routine. I like to know what to expect. I don't deal well with new things and I tend to shy away from new experiences. So this is precisely why I am forcing myself to do this. I don't want to be THAT person.

So I am doing research to try to figure out what I need to bring. And trying not to thing about bugs. Or how much I will miss air-conditioning.

Hold me.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:17 AM, Blogger Misty Beethoven said…

    You are either
    a) very brave
    b) insane
    c) all of the above

    I can't deal with festival concerts. Summer or otherwise. A field full of hippies. Are you into these bands? Are you going to take copious amounts of hallucinogens in order to make it tolerable?
    Bless your heart. That's this weekend, isn't it? I look forward to a report. As much as I adore live music, I'm quite terrified of the festival events.

    I'm delighted that you're blogging again. Seriously.

     
  • At 11:34 AM, Blogger Kelly said…

    Pansy

     

Post a Comment

<< Home